FAQ Chemical Peel
What type of chemical peel?
The Jessner's Peel is a light to medium peel, the depth of which is controlled by the amount of time you leave it on your skin and the number of layers you use. This is a very safe peel and is suitable for all skin types, especially those with oily or acne prone skin. Some darker skin tones, particularly African American run a small risk of post peel hypo pigmentation. As with all products, a patch test is recommended to see how your skin reacts. Of all the peels, the Jessner's peel has the best track record for darkly pigmented skin peels. This peel contains 14% of each of the following active ingredients: Salicylic acid, Resorcinol and Lactic Acid.
What can Jessner's peel treat?
· Visually retexturise thickened or oily skin.
· Will Improve evening skin tone and colour.
· Will improve the appearance of large pores.
Encourage cell turnover and stimulates collagen formation while helping to smooth and soften the skin.
. Exfoliation of the skin's upper layer allows improved absorption of products
· Excellent for treatment of comedones (blackheads) and acne prone skin
· Affective on acne prone areas on the body such as back, arms & chest
Contra-indications (People who are not candidates for Chemical peels)
· Allergies to asperin based products (salicylates), resorchinol or lactic acid
· Roaccutane use in the last 6 months
· Deramtitis or infection in the area to be treated, Have Herpes.
· Pregnancy, breast feeding or planning to get pregnant.
· Abnormal wound healing, abnormal immune response
. Have had problems with atypical scarring in the
past (keloid, etc)
NB Please advise your doctor if you are prone to cold sores.
How many sessions do I need?
We recommend a course of 1 to 6 peels; this is dependent on skin type, skin condition, peels strength and desired outcome.
What does it feel like?
Jessner's solution is at a low pH, so it will sting a little. Throughout the application (10-20 minutes) the patient holds a devise, which gently blows out cool air – this helps to reduce the sting.
How does my skin look after the treatment?
· Mild to moderate redness and sensitivity (similar to a sunbun) lasting 12 to 48 hours
· Skin will feel tight and dry
· Some darkened areas of skin may occur (this is the skin preparing to shed)
· Varying amount of mild to moderate flaking/peeling can occur for approximately 3-7 days after your treatment
· Do not pick or peel the skin prematurely ( to prevent infection)
. After skin has shed it has a healthy glow, feels softer and smoother.
· It is important to protect new skin from sun by using a broad spectrum (UVA/UVB) SPF 30+ sunscreen daily
Any potential complications?
· If the peeling skin is removed prematurely, prolonged healing and or infection is possible and may lead to a scar
· Possible herpes simplex outbreak if prone to cold sores
· Hyperpigmentation (darker areas of pigment on the skin) lasting 1 to 12 months
· Some clients may experience mild temporary swelling of treatment area (rare).
Prior to having a Jessner's peel, we recommend that the skin is primed with active ingredients for at least two weeks prior to the peel. This is to maximise peel outcomes, assist in speeding the healing time and reduces the risk of post peel complications. A specific skin care regime will be recommended to you at your initial consultation.
What are the patient After-Care for Superficial Peels?
Now that you've had your
first peel, there are a few simple steps for after care that you will need to
Avoid the use of moisturisers or lotions containing active ingredients such as retinol, glycolic acids, perfumes and colours. Please use the moisturiser supplied to you for 3-7 days or until your skin is no longer sensitive. Thereafter, continue with your usual moisturisers unless advised otherwise.
Your skin will be a little more sensitive to the sun so keep sun exposure to a minimum. Please try to stay indoors and away from direct sun ray until full recovery to avoid darkening of the skin. Apply broad spectrum (UVA/UVB) SPF 30+ sunscreen daily to protect your new skin
This should be a regular routine for you anyway!
Apply foundation as you wish.
Slight crusting and/or scabbing in particular areas may develop. If so, please do not rub or pick the skin as this may lead to a scar. It is also recommend
If you have any concerns or questions please call the office on 03 5822 2677.
What does the expected changes over the next 7 to 14 days include?
Day 1 to 3 – Tight, dry
skin with moderate redness and sensitivity
Day 2 to 5 – Areas of darkened skin (this is the old skin in preparation to peel)
Day 3 to 7 – Peeling or slight flaking lasting 2 to 5 days
Home Care Products to use for the following 3 – 5 days
It is important to avoid the use of exfoliating products for the next 3-5 days. To avoid sun sensitivities it is important to apply a broad-spectrum sun block daily
Is Chemical Peel expensive?
Depending on the area treated and how many layers to reach certain depth.
A Jessner's peel face will cost $100 and will take approximately 45 minutes to complete. A course
of three (3) superficial Jessner's peels may be recommended at a reduced price of $ 250 and are performed fortnightly apart.